Rockville’s history stretches back to the 1770’s starting as one of the first settlements in Montgomery County slowly growing into a bustling city post-World War II. Some 250 years later, Rockville would be almost unrecognizable to its residents of the past except for these historic Rockville treasures
- Glenview Mansion
603 Edmonston Drive, Rockville MD 20851
Presently the centerpiece of the Rockville Civic Center Park, Glenview Mansion’s history traces back to the 1830’s. Named for its view of the valley below, Glenview’s original two-story farmhouse overlooked the estate’s 500 acres was built in 1838 by the Bowie family.
Glenview remained in the Bowie family until 1904 until it was finally acquired by a wealthy and connected couple from Washington. The property underwent significant upgrades in 1923, transformed into a country estate designed for entertaining. The 30+ room property is included on the National Register of Historic Places and because of its significant architecture and formal gardens, and is free and open to the public during visiting hours
Plan your visit to Glenview Mansion
- The Underground Railroad
This historic path cuts through Rockville and was used as an organized escape system for slaves, uniting fugitives with volunteers who would assist slaves before conveying them across the border to states where they could live in freedom. According to historians, fugitives walked up the C&O Canal towpath, traveled north on what is now Rockville Pike/Frederick Road.
Join Peerless Rockville Historic Preservation for their presentations and tours of Rockville’s Underground Rail Road.
- Dr. Frieda Fromm-Reichmann’s Cottage
19 Thomas Street, Rockville MD 20850
The cottage in the west end of Rockville is associated with Dr. Frieda Fromm-Reichmann, a leading figure in American psychiatry renowned for her pioneering contributions to the treatment of schizophrenia. Dr. Fromm-Reichmann served as director of psychotherapy at Chestnut Lodge in Rockville, then a premier center for the study and treatment of schizophrenia.
The cottage was designated a National Historic Landmark in 2021 and is preserved and maintained by Peerless Rockville. Look out for events hosted at the cottage by Peerless Rockville
Rockville B&O Railroad Station
98 Church Street, Rockville MD 20850
Built in 1873, the Rockville station was one of several stops along the route between Washington and Point of Rocks. The station is designed in a Victorian Gothic style with Eastlake detailing, emblematic of its age.
By the development of the Metro in the 1970’s, the Rockville B&O Station had been seldom used and fallen into disrepair. In 1981 Peerless Rockville acquired and facilitated the move of the 400-ton station to its present location on Church Street. The former B&O Station is now occupied by a local law firm committed to the preservation of the building.
Learn more about the Rockville B&O Railroad Station
- F. Scott Fitzgerald’s Gravesite
520 Veirs Mill Road, Rockville MD 20852
Renowned for his modern classic, “The Great Gatsby”, F. Scott Fitzgerald’s remains rest at the historic St. Mary’s Church in the heart of Rockville. Fitzgerald was a descendant of prominent Maryland families (the Scotts, Keys, and Fitzgeralds) with his father, Edward Fitzgerald born in then pre-Civil war Rockville.
Fitzgerald’s remains were originally interred at Rockville Cemetery, but was relocated along with his wife’s remains to St. Mary’s Catholic church by their daughter in 1975 upon the Women’s Club of Rockville’s suggestion. Today 15 member of the Fitzgerald and their extended family rest at St. Mary’s.